Monday 17 June 2013

Vintage tea cup bird feeders.

Hello again, another rainy day in my neck of the woods, so I thought this is the perfect time to catch up on my blogging, yesterday I did a quick post on my front flower bed, and promised a tutorial on how I made my new vintage tea cup bird feeders. It was really simple and a lot of fun, these cuties also work realy well for a whimsical garden tealight holder. I have seen a few different ways to make these on the net, i.e. copper piping used for plubing, I've seen them hanging from tree branches using twine, very cute by the way,  I may have go do this with the extra teacups I have. another cute idea is to use old railing spindles,   I would have tried this for sure, but I did't have any on hand. I did however have some birch branches left over from my christmas urns. I thought these would work great and keep with a nature/outdoorsy vibe, here's what I did.
First I gathered all my supplies, old vintage tea cups, glue, I used PL premium  glue (found at the hardware store ) then gather your posts, I used birch branches, and lastly you'll need some old teaspoons for the little birdies to land on. The fisrt thing I did was glue together my teacups and saucers using my pl glue and glue gun thingy, I borrowed from the hubs,then glued the teaspoon on to the saucer.
 Next you'll need access to a skill saw, I had my hubby take my branches and cut them giving them a level surface for my teacups to sit on. you'll want your posts to be at least 2 Inches wide.
Next my hubby turned the posts upside down and gave the posts a point, so they would go Into the ground a little easier, this really did help when putting them In the garden, I never would have  thought of this ( sometimes our hubbys really do come in handy)
 once your posts are ready to go, you can go ahead and glue your teacups to the posts. You will need to turn them upside down while the glue sets, and probably have to prop them up somehow. Leave them to dry as long as you can I left mine over night.
 Now that your feeders are dry, place in the garden ,and add your birdseed and water to the feeders


 Now you can enjoy these whimsical bird feeders. I love mine and am getting tons of complements from passers by.

 I also use these at night as tealight holders, it's very pretty and has a nice romantic feel

I have even been getting orders from friends and family asking for these lovely feeders, :)) thanks for stoping by today, see you all again soon ....hugs Elle

8 comments:

  1. so very sweet, elle! have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi....I just wanted to stop by to let you know of a GIVEAWAY being hosted by Koralee from Bluebird Notes blog to help celebrate the opening of my new Etsy shop: Daisy Pink Wish.......if you have the time please stop by.....we would love to see you enter!
    Daisy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG..They are adorable and the spoon is perfect! I love it. I love the idea of using them for tea light holders too! Great tutorial! Thank you for your kind words on my sons graduation!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable- the spoon adds just the right extra something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey It's me again....I posted on your Facebook page (or at least I think I did because nothing showed up) .......but I just wanted to say Thank you! I really appreciate it! I liked your FB page as well!
    Daisy~

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I need to make one for my mom, both of my sisters, my Aunt Sue, my best friend, my neighbor down the street..............

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Love the look, Elle! I can imagine how great they look at night holding tea lights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these look so dainty! Very cute idea!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete